Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Baby Art Time

At what age can you do art with your kids?
What projects are age appropriate and safe?

I wondered this myself. Besides doing hand and foot prints, I started doing art activities with Logan at 10 months. With Kalia I've started at 6 months -she can sit at a highchair or bumbo, is aware and curious about the world around her and is mastering her hand coordination.
Worried that she would eat paint, even if it says non-toxic, I decided to try making my own. There are a ton of recipes out there but I stuck with the simplest one:
Edible Paint
1 cup flour
1 cup water
Squirts of food colouring
I mixed the water into the flour and poured them into some baby food jars that I saved. A few drops of food colouring into each one and done!
I then poured the paint onto finger painting paper (back side is glossy so it can take more moisture) and let Kalia have a go at her first art project!


I was worried that she would eat it but she didn't even put her hands in her mouth. Maybe from watching her brother do all his art projects with paint she sort of knew what was happening?





While it was really about the process, rather than the product but she did make four pretty nice pictures....



This went really well. Guess we'll be doing more baby art projects!

Linking up to:
Link and Learn
Tip Junkie handmade projects



2 comments:

Tori said...

That looks very fun!! I love the simple finger paint recipe I may have to try this out with my little one!!

Jennifer said...

That's awesome! I've been trying to come up with something for my 10 month old. We did use babyfood carrots one time and that worked well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

How old is Logan today?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

How old is Kalia today?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker